12 great reasons to join FAIRsharePosted on Sep 11, 2018
To join or not to join, that is the question! To help you, here are 12 great reasons to join FAIRshare Credit Union. We’ve also asked some of our members for their thoughts too!
- Straightforward saving accounts – whether your saving for Christmas, a holiday, a special occasion or for a ‘Rainy Day’ fund, its so easy to save with FAIRshare.
Simon, a member since 2015 says “I always meant to save something every month. But because my savings were in my bank account, it was so easy to raid them. Saving with FAIRshare takes away that temptation, but I know I can access my money in an emergency. I was really surprised how much I’d got, when I checked my account recently”.
- Access to fair, manageable loans, with flexible repayments and no penalties. We promote responsible lending and do not lend more than you can afford to repay. The interest rates we can charge are capped by our regulators which makes us considerably cheaper than some lending options. Check out how you can save £1000s buying a new Smart TV compared to a weekly payment store.
- Save as you borrow – if you choose to borrow from us, we’ll allocate part of each loan repayment to your savings account. So when you’ve repaid your loan, you’ll also have saved a cash lump sum.
Mike says “I joined [FAIRshare] in September 1994 and it was the best thing I’ve ever done. From never having any savings and being constantly in debt, I now have my own house. My cars are bought for cash and the habit of saving has become second nature. I wish everyone had the same chance”.
- To benefit your local community – your money stays in the local community to help other local people. Members collectively pool their savings and the money is used to make loans to other members at low rates of interest.
Neil says “I’ve been a member [of FAIRshare] since formation in 1994, enjoying cheaper loans on a regular basis. Ethical loans and savings in the locality is what its all about for me”.
- Ethical – we do not invest in unethical industries, nor do we pay huge bonuses or salaries. We’re all about putting members before profit, and going that little bit extra to help each other. FAIRshare strives to provide a personal, fair and safe place for you to save and borrow.
- Engage VISA debit card & current account – our prepaid VISA card and basic bank account with no credit checks and cashback rewards. And for younger members, there’s Smartcash, with its own Visa debit card and free Smartcash App.
- Younger Saver account for children from birth to under 16 years of age. The outstanding 2.5% annual bonus paid in 2017 was better than many high street banks!
- Borrowing from us can help improve your credit rating and help you become financially stable.
Lucy says “FAIRshare has saved my life on many occasions throughout the years! Thank you”.
- Poor credit history? No problem, you can still join FAIRshare. We do not carry out a credit check when a new member joins, unlike most banks and building societies.
- Safe and secure – your savings are protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme, giving you complete peace of mind.
- Its your credit union! As a member you have a say in how FAIRshare is run, and receive a share of any profit, in the form of an annual dividend.
- Its great to be part of the credit union community – locally, nationally and worldwide! The credit union movement is global with credit unions in 109 countries, and over 231 million members worldwide!
So go on, join FAIRshare today, and be part of your credit union! There is a one off non-refundable membership fee of £5 and you also need to deposit £1 to open a savings account. You can join online today or visit our Telford branch or Shrewsbury office. If you have any queries please call our Member Service team on 01952 200200.
We look forward to welcoming you as a member!
Please note – all quotations are genuine, but for privacy, we’ve changed the members’ names.